Cardio benefits are priceless, from burning calories, regulating blood cholesterol, and regulating blood pressure to weight loss. Unfortunately, cardio exercises only work when combined with the right diet.
Many people find it hard to decide what to eat or drink after cardio sessions. When you finish an intensive run or aerobics, you need to consume food to replenish your muscles. Protein shakes have essential benefits to weight lifters who work out to enhance muscle growth. But what about cardio?
Should I Drink A Protein Shake After Cardio?
Yes, after any intense form of muscle or cardio-vascular activities, your body needs time to recover. A protein shake can significantly complement your workout.
During your exercise, your body utilizes stored energy from the muscles in the form of glycogen. It is essential to refuel by restoring the used glycogen using proteins shortly after your workout. Protein shakes can help you to achieve this quickly and more effectively.
Deeper Dive into Protein Drinks and Cardio
Typically, a refined post-workout protein shake is made up of isolated and concentrated protein powders extracted from cows’ milk. Protein shakes are an ideal and high-quality source of pure protein, which the body absorbs very fast. Protein shakes after cardio will help you to boost your performance and enhance your recovery.
The principal role of proteins in the body is muscle building. Even though cardio mainly focuses on soft muscle tissues, depleted proteins are required to restore the body to its normal functioning. Dietary proteins such as protein shakes have numerous benefits since they contain all the essential amino acids.
Proteins have many other functions in the body, such as synthesizing hormones, regulating metabolic activities, and facilitating the growth of cells, muscles, and damaged tissues. Having a protein shake from about 30 to 60 minutes after your cardio will ensure that you reap all the benefits as you proceed with your exercises.
Apart from restoring muscle energy and muscle growth, protein shakes have numerous other health-related benefits that you have to note to understand its essence.
Health Benefits of Protein Shakes and Cardio
Scientific studies on protein shakes’ content revealed numerous health benefits due to its enriched protein quantity.
- Experts say that protein shakes can help you to lower and regulate blood pressure. Lactokinins are a type of bioactive peptides that are found in proteins. These peptides can lower blood pressure in individuals with high blood pressure.
- Protein shakes can be used to treat type 2 diabetes, The Journal of Nutritional Biochemistry. This type of diabetes is caused by impaired insulin secretion and high levels of sugar in the blood. Some proteins found in protein shakes effectively regulate blood sugar levels, which makes them a preferable treatment for type 2 diabetes.
- Protein shakes may help to reduce inflammation in case of injuries. Prolonged chronic inflammation is a risk factor for severe conditions. High protein levels can significantly reduce the C-reactive protein in the blood, which facilitates inflammation. Thus protein shakes are a solution to inflammation.
- A protein shake helps to enhance the body’s antioxidant defenses. Antioxidants inhibit oxidation in body tissues. Oxidation can lead to adverse health effects. Protein shakes have proteins that facilitate glutathione production, which is one of the most potent antioxidants in the body. Protein shakes can also help you reduce hunger, lose weight, and minimize blood fat, enabling you to stay safe from cardio-vascular conditions.
Ideal Protein Powders for Cardio
Now that we established that you should have a protein shake after your cardio workout let’s consider what a protein shake is. A typical post-workout protein shake like whey-based protein powder (whey protein isolate and concentrate) has many benefits for cardio recovery, enhancing your fitness and muscle development.
Below is our top protein shake pick that we would recommend for cardio workouts. It is a great source of protein but also is lean.
- 24g protein per serving
- High-quality source of protein
- High calcium content
- 11g essential amino acids per serving
- Provides a steady stream of protein to your muscles
- Excellent source of fiber
- Available in 7 flavors
- Buy on Amazon
Protein Drinks After Cardio Summary
Cardio exercises are crucial to individuals aiming to lose weight or burn some calories before they embark on their workout sessions.
Nevertheless, it would help if you supplemented these exercises with a healthy, balanced diet and a constant routine. What you eat before and after your training is vital to your progress. The right balance of dietary food and powder shakes will help you achieve the maximum impact of your workouts.