If you want to improve your health and lifestyle, you might want to include protein shakes in your regular diet. You can replace or supplement a meal with a protein shake that will provide you with the quantity of protein you need to enhance your strength and build muscle.
Why Would Someone Use Protein Shakes?
People use protein shakes for various reasons. For example, protein shakes are ideal for busy people or for people who skip meals. They are quick to make and beneficial, and they provide the nutrients needed for a healthy lifestyle.
Other reasons are:
- Meal replacement for weight loss. You can use protein shakes to replace one or even two meals per day. Because they come with detailed calorie content, you can easily calculate the number of calories you consume.
- To improve the balance of the diet. Protein shakes are convenient because you can also add different fruits and vegetables to them. You can mix them with other things too to increase the healthy fats and fiber intake.
- As a source of energy before and after the training, even though many people use them after their workout, protein shakes can serve as pre-workout meals.
- For weight gain. Protein shakes are great for people who want to gain weight because they deliver additional calories. You can increase the calorie intake by drinking a protein shake before bedtime or between meals.
- To increase protein intake. It’s important to increase the amount of protein you consume if you want to build muscle. Using protein shakes, you can adjust the number of proteins you consume based on your needs. You will increase your strength and improve muscle recovery with a combination of intense workouts and higher protein intakes.
The Most Popular Types of Protein Powders
To provide more information on the subject, let’s see which are the best protein shakes for beginners.
Whey Concentrate Protein
This is the most common form of protein found in supplements. Because whey-based supplements have a lower price, they are suitable for beginners. You can use supplements that contain whey before the workout and after the workout as well. They can also serve as a snack between the meals. Keep in mind that it’s not recommended to consume whey-based protein shakes during the night.
Soy-based supplements come with many health benefits, and they are excellent, especially for those who want a vegetarian protein source. Soy proteins provide glutamine and BCAA that ensure faster muscle recovery. It also helps the metabolism, which is great for people who want to lose weight. You can use soy-based protein shakes before and after the workout.
You can consume casein proteins before you go to bed because the body absorbs them over the course of several hours. People prefer using casein-based supplements to provide their bodies with a constant protein supply during the day. This protein type provides glutamine, which is beneficial for the immune system, and it also improves muscle recovery.
Egg albumin is one of the oldest types of protein used by bodybuilders, and they make great protein shakes for beginners. You can find this type of protein in powder form, and it’s beneficial because of its amino acids. You can use egg albumin-based shakes before and after your workout.
Hydrolysate-based supplements are usually the most expensive, but they are also high-quality. They supply your body with highly absorbable amino acids creating an amazing anabolic effect. Hydrolysate proteins are also better for the digestive system compared to other types of proteins.
What You Should Consider Before Buying Protein Supplements
As a beginner, you need to look for the form and source of the protein. You have to choose a protein type based on your needs and fitness objectives. Protein isolate is one of the purest forms of protein, so you might want to get supplements that contain that.
Also, check out the amount of protein provided per serving. You should avoid supplements that provide less than 20 grams of protein per serving.
Editors Top Choice for Protein Powder
BSN Syntha 6 Edge Protein Powder
BSN Syntha 6 Edge is a protein powder designed to provide sustained release protein over several hours. Using an innovative blend of 6 different protein sources, Syntha 6 provides a steady stream of amino acids to your muscles.